Sunday, March 21, 2010

Creamy Italian Salad Dressing/ the frugal way

I've been reading about living frugally recently.I think it began when my daughter informed me that you can make your own laundry detergent for pennies. I tried it and I was totally amazed. It takes a little time to make but lasts for at least 2 or 3 weeks depending on how much laundry you are doing in a week. For any relatives reading this, I can still afford groceries. I've always enjoyed getting the most for my money without settling for lesser quality. I would prefer to have high quality used things than new things that are poor in quality. A used linen shirt from a thrift store is a good example. Linen fabric shows little wear, lose little of their color, and last much longer than other fabrics. The down side is that it must be ironed unless you like the wrinkled look. (If you're young, the wrinkles don't matter. If you're my age, more wrinkles are not welcome.

The dollar doesn't buy as much as it did a year ago. I've noticed that my grocery bill sometimes includes an increase of things I buy that thirty years ago I didn't. I'm thankful that we have grocery stores that carry a multiple choice of items. But, regardless of your budget, you can easily spend more than you need to.

I had never thought of this until I read it in one of my cook books. If you buy Italian dressing and want creamy Italian also, you don't need to buy two bottles of dressing. Mix 1/2 cup mayonaise with 1/2 cup Italian dressing. (the oil and vinegar Italian dressing is the type I'm referring to.)  One less bottle of salad dressing to buy.

If you have a frugal tip, please leave it in your comment. I would love to share it.

No comments: